Our History


H. Macdonald & Son Monuments has a rich community history rooted in the heart of “The Valley.” The business was founded in 1900 when Hugh Macdonald opened 3 locations; Broad St., Waverly, East Waverly and Athens.

On the retirement of Hugh Macdonald, his son Duncan took over the family business. The current owner, Ted Dydynski is honored to carry on the business under the H. Macdonald and Son name.   Members of the Cooley family continue to proudly represent the reputation of this family business.

In 1992 H. Macdonald and Son Monuments acquired ownership of a monument company which was located at the corner of North Main St. and East Frederick Streets in Athens (opposite Tioga Point Cemetery.) A glance through the pages of history interestingly shows that Hugh Macdonald, originally ran his business at this Athens property in 1902.

In 1994 we sold our Broad St., Waverly Building and moved to our beautifully renovated Athens location, where today we operate from a state of the art monument studio; showroom, and resource center.

As we approach our 114th year of doing business in the Valley, we reflect on the friendship and good will that generations of families have accorded us. We pledge to continue to do our very best to merit your continued trust and confidence.